Friday, July 6, 2012

Weaver's Delight Restoration - The End Is In Sight

A few days ago, the loom was empty of all the metal mechanism, and was just the frame.  I started assembling it a couple days ago, after all the cast parts were painted.
By this evening, this is how the loom looked.  It was like putting a 1000 piece puzzle together!  My advise to anyone with the idea to restore one of these looms, is to photograph all joints and try to get a clear picture of all hardware.  A sketch of the loom, showing carriage or machine bolt sizes would be helpful, also.  There are so many bolts, of all different lengths, that some of them were reinstalled by process of elimination, because I didn't make a diagram.

This loom has a whole new terminology, so I had to make another call to Leslie at Riverside Loomworks.
 Riverside Loomworks P.O. Box 522, Eaton Rapids, MI 48827 (517) 663-0357 
I was going over the parts list she had sent to me earlier, and was trying to decide if any parts were missing.  Some of the parts have names I've never heard of when talking about looms. She answered my numerous questions, and I was able to order the parts that are missing.  The loom needs a tension band with end brackets for the brake, and a pair of pickers, a boot heel type devise, used to throw the shuttle from one side of the loom to the other.

I should have more put together tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks gorgeous! All the hardwork will make all your projects that much more rewarding as I'm sure you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOOK'N-REALLY-GREAT & your notes on work is bound to be helpful to others ! ! ! ! ! ! Both into PT here & do'n-fine, just HURTS-FOR-AWHILE ! ! ! ! ! !

    ReplyDelete